No Place I'd rather be

No Place I'd rather be
Join me...

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Nothing Compares to Knowing Jesus

This morning while reading Colossians two, these verses stood outs six and seven as well as thirteen through fifteen. Just so you know I went on a word search at blb.org (highlights, stars and numbers):

 


6 As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him*17 rooted*2 and built up*3 in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.

13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision*4 of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you ALL trespasses,  14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.  15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

 

*1 “so walk”  is Greek for peripateō and means to make one's way, progress; to make due use of opportunities; Hebrew for, to live; to regulate one's life, to conduct one's self,  pass one's life.

*2 “rooted” or rhizoō  means to cause to strike root, to strengthen with roots, to render firm, to fix, establish, cause a person or a thing to be thoroughly grounded

*3 as in a foundation

*4 Uncircumcised means the condition in which the corrupt desires rooted in the flesh were not yet extinct.

 
So in other words:  As you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, live “your” life (which now belongs to Jesus) for Him and in Him, rooted or firmly grounded in Him. Your foundation is in Jesus and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding (overflowing) in it with thanksgiving.
 
 
The notes from Chuck Smith’s sermon go over verse 14 and 15. He talks about the victory of the cross and how the principalities were defeated.


How can I apply this to my life? It is a reminder, once again, that my life is not my own. I’ve been bought and paid for.  Just as when Jesus lived here on earth to serve Father’s purpose and plans –spreading the news of God’s kingdom and dying for our sins. Also, Jesus left us examples (fellowship with God (pray), minister, go to church, pray, do what Father says, pray). So, I must continue to fellowship with God and reach out to those that He leads me to and puts in my path. Be faithful to studying God’s Word and be prepared to share the Good News of Jesus or encourage a sister or brother in the Lord. That’s a tall order, but when we continue to daily deny ourselves, take up our cross, and follow His leading nothing is impossible. Also, I find that when I walk in His Spirit I am most content and at peace no matter what comes “our” way. :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment