Did you know that God gave King Solomon his wisdom?
Because King Solomon only asked for discernment to rule God’s people, God gave the king wisdom as well as wealth. (1 Kings 3:5-14) With this wisdom it appears that King Solomon was able to do whatever he set in his heart to do. But his life seemed so sad and empty. His heart was searching to find meaning in life and I think maybe he was searching for inner peace. It reminds me of a person with no real relationship with God. They are pursuing whatever they can to plug the empty feeling inside. When all they really need to do is stop and turn to the one who created them.
I think Chuck Smith sums the first two chapters up nicely:
I. LIFE "UNDER THE SUN" IS LIFE ON THE HUMAN PLANE.
A. Life on this plane is frustrating vexation of the spirit.
1. Man is conscious of an unfulfilled purpose.
a. A desire to be?
b. A desire to have?
c. A desire to attain?
2. I achieve my goal only to discover it wasn't what I thought it was.
a. I drink but I am still thirsty.
b. I eat but I am still hungry.
B. Life on this plane. "Vanity, vanity all..."
1. I feel an emptiness within.
a. Nothing seems to fill that emptiness.
2. Things finally seem so futile.
C. Life on this plane is filled with pursuits.
1. I think happiness is the ultimate purpose for life. vs. 1.
2. I think building some monument vs. 4.
3. I think possessions vs. 7.
4. I think entertainment vs. 8.
5. I think wisdom.
D. Life on this plane results in bitterness vs. 17.
1. We become cynical, disappointed.
II. "LIFE IN THE SON" IS LIFE ON THE SPIRITUAL PLANE.
A. Life on this plane is satisfying.
1. I have a consciousness of fulfilled purposes.
a. I have become a son of God.
b. I have received eternal life.
c. "My cup runneth over."
B. Life on this plane is full and rich.
1. Nothing I do is in vain.
a. A purpose even in my failures.
b. "Your labor is not in vain in the Lord."
C. Life on this plane is a life of rest.
1. I rest in the finished work of Christ my Lord.
D. Life on this plane results in love, joy, peace.
III. ON WHICH PLANE DO YOU LIVE?
A. Some choose to live under the sun.
1. They feel what has happened to others won't happen to them.
a. This present pursuit is the real answer.
2. They labor under the false notions and lies Satan has spread about life in the Son.
a. They have preferred his lie to God's truth.
B. Others choose to live "in the Son."
1. You see it is a matter of choice.
2. You choose that - "Choose ye this day whom ye will serve."
3. Some get all hung up on a loving God sending men to hell.
a. God does not send men to hell.
b. If they choose to go there, He won't violate their choice.
C. On which plane do you choose to live?
I John 5:12, “He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.”
Also, in Colossians 3:23 we are told,
“Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically,
as something done for the Lord and not for men."