No Place I'd rather be

No Place I'd rather be
Join me...

Sunday, May 8, 2016

It Should Have Been Me!

God's law in Deuteronomy 21 tells us:
 
22 “If a man has committed a sin deserving of death, and he is put to death, and you hang him on a tree, 23 his body shall not remain overnight on the tree, but you shall surely bury him that day, so that you do not defile the land which the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance; for he who is hanged is accursed of God.
 
The verses prior to that talk about stoning the rebellious and stubborn child. I was rebellious and stubborn during my teens years. God in His mercy let me have my way and allowed me to live and learn from my mistakes.
 
Several times I should have died. Once He intervened through a neighbor rushing me to the ER because my parents weren't home; thankfully I went to talk to her when I was having an allergic reaction to something. Another time, He even whispered in my ear one dark night on the way home from college,  "Why are you in this lane? No one is around. Move over to the slow lane." No sooner had I moved, a car came speeding over the hill in the wrong direction and in the lane I'd just occupied. He spared my life and when the time was right, He allowed me to be broken. I looked at my shattered dreams and wondered what was next.
Thankfully He never gave up on me and He wooed me back into a relationship with Him... a humbled child who knew she deserved death and eternity in hell.

It should have been me hung on that cursed tree with the nails and the crown of thorns....In Galatians 3:13 it tells us, "Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us, (for it is written "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree.") Jesus took my place, my sin, He became a curse for us all.

Christ became the curse for us in that He took our sins upon Himself when He was hung there upon the tree, He took, no he bore, the curse of God against sin.
Remember when Adam and Eve sinned, they brought the curse of God upon man, woman, and the earth. He would actually have to sweat and work with briers and thorns. No more were the days of walking the garden with God and reaching out to eat whatever you desire with little work. Now man would have hard labor and the woman would also have hard labor and delivery.

When Christ died and redeemed us from the curse, it was once for all for those who accept it. Do you remember what the solders made a crown out of for Jesus to wear? A crown of thorns. And the thorns were part of the curse against man. Jesus wore the cursed crown upon His brow and He redeemed us from the curse of the law.


It should have been me on that cross.....

Jesus said that if anyone desires to follow Him, let him deny himself, and take up the cross DAILY, and follow Him. For if we desire to save our life we will lose it....(Luke 9:23-24a)

I now believe that God gives us more than we can bear. It would do us well to remember that, even Jesus needed help to carry His cross.  Granted He was beaten and bruised. But some days don't we feel beaten down; like we can't go Another Step on our own?
How can we be so audacious to think that we can make it through the day without denying "ME" and asking Jesus to help us with what God has given us to do?
By us asking Him to daily help us bear our cross we are depending on Him, abiding in Him, growing in Him. He desires (or is that requires?) total dependancy and trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment