No Place I'd rather be

No Place I'd rather be
Join me...

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Israel's Song Before Entering the Promised Land

Today in Deuteronomy I read the song that Moses was given by God to teach the children of Israel. It was long, I had to read it more than once because I lost my concentration and began to zone out. So, I started over and read it aloud. How did he put that to music?

In the song we see where the younger generation is to ask the older generation about all that God had brought them through.

Who can you share with, about all the things that God has brought you through?

 This morning I used blb.org to look up the meaning of words the site makes reference to KJV. So, I’ve posted two translations of verse fifteen. You’ll see why as you read on.



“But Jeshurun grew fat and kicked;
You grew fat, you grew thick,
You are obese!
Then he forsook God who made him,
And scornfully esteemed the Rock of his salvation.”
(NKJV)
“But Jeshurun waxed fat, and kicked:
thou art waxen fat, thou art grown thick,
thou art covered with fatness;
then he forsook God which made him,
and lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation. “(KJV)

 Jeshuran, what does that mean? I found out that it means upright one; Israel. While I was on that verse  I looked up “waxed fat”. I looked at a box titled "Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon" and it read, “to cover, to cover with fat, metaphor i.e. to cover the heart as it were with fat, to render it callous so as not to heed the words of the prophet…"

 “Him, he lightly esteemed” has many different meanings, but again I read that box’s description: to be, or to become withered, faded, used of leaves and flowers falling off from being faded. This makes me think of a plant without water. Just like plants need water, we need the Living Water (Jesus).

I looked up a few other words as well, but I won’t bore you with all that. I rewrote this verse so, I can understand better what it is saying.

But Israel, the upright one, grew callous in her heart, and kicked at God:

Israel, your heart is callous, you are obese and you won’t listen;

you are covered with fatness from being completely satisfied, filled with food: you are a gluten.

Then you abandoned and left your God who made you;

you are fading, withering without the Rock who gave you water in the dessert, the Rock of your salvation.

After breaking that verse down, it is powerful what God was telling Israel. He was their source and when they get to this Promised Land they were going to forget Him. Still He took them in and met all their needs. God knows our heart and what will happen in our life. He is not bound by time like we are.

LORD, may I never be like that! God, don’t let me become satisfied with the things of this world. Let me have an insatiable desire, a need for more of You all the days of my life. Never let me be content with where I am in my walk with You; Father, don’t let me become discouraged, but encouraged to seek hard after You. I know the things, food, entertainment of this world mean nothing compared to You. I do not want my heart to be filled up with anything but You! You tell us to come to You and not to labor for that which does not satisfy. Oh, LORD, I want to delight myself in what You have for me. Thank You for the everlasting covenant that you have provided for me in Jesus. Thank you for loving me and for Your Word. Draw the lost and hurting to Jesus, give them eyes to see and ears to hear, unblind their minds and let them see the truth found only in Jesus. Father,  send workers into the harvest, and use me LORD. Let my light shine brightly for You to those you have placed in my life each and every day. In Jesus’ name I ask all these things amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment