No Place I'd rather be

No Place I'd rather be
Join me...

Monday, May 30, 2016

As a Man Thinks . . .

I've been studying Philippians with Jon Courson's audio. I am on chapter three and highly recommend that you listen to it.

I've been thinking about the heart and mind since this weekend and listening to his teaching. In Jeremiah 17:9 -10 we are told,

“The heart is deceitful above all things,
And desperately wicked;
Who can know it?

I, the Lord, search the heart,
I test the mind,
Even to give every man according to his ways,
According to the fruit of his doings.
 

Let's go back to verse five in Jeremiah (5-8): 
Cursed is the man who trusts in man
And makes flesh his strength,
Whose heart departs from the Lord.
For he shall be like a shrub in the desert,
And shall not see when good comes,
But shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness,
In a salt land which is not inhabited.
Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord,
And whose hope is the Lord.
For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters,
Which spreads out its roots by the river,
And will not fear when heat comes;
But its leaf will be green,
And will not be anxious in the year of drought,
Nor will cease from yielding fruit.
 
The blessed man reminds me of John 15, when we believe in Jesus as our LORD and Savior and become followers of Christ, His Holy  Spirit comes and lives in us and we abide in Him. God provides and cares for us. When the heat comes, we have the Living Water coursing through our very being keeping us refreshed and alive.

At the beginning of every chapter Courson makes a statement, "One of the most important components in understanding joyful, successful Christianity is this: You cannot change your heart — but you can change your mind. Conversely, God can change your heart, but He won't change your mind. Therefore, if I choose to change the way I think about a given situation, God will change my heart to follow suit. But if I do not choose to change my thoughts, God will not change my heart.

That is why the wisest man on the face of the earth literally said,
 
'As a man thinketh, in his heart so is he,' (Proverbs 23:7).
 
When people say, 'I'm so depressed, so discouraged, so distraught,' the only workable solution we can offer them is to tell them to change the way they think, for as they do, God will work in their hearts in due season.

Even though he was in prison, Paul could rejoice and tell us to do so as well, for he was thinking clearly, singularly, rightly." This was taken from BLB but I listened to it on the above link under Courson.

I've had to listen to that more than once and I've thought on it quite a bit.

I decided to look for some Bible verses related to "Thoughts and Mind "

I see this verse in a new way,  

"Keep your heart with all vigilance,
for from it flow the springs of life."
 
How do we keep our heart?
"Keep your mind on whatever is true, pure, right and holy,
friendly and proper. Don't ever stop thinking about what is truly worth while and worthy of praise." (Philippians 4:8 -paraphrase)
 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me— practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. (v.9)
~
You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. (Isaiah 26:3)
 ~
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
(Romans 12:2)
 ~
Rejoice in the LORD always and again I say rejoice! .... Do not worry about anything, instead pray about everything. With praise and thanksgiving present your request to God and the peace that passes all understanding will guard your heart and mind through Christ Jesus, our Lord. (Philippians 4:4-7)
 ~
 
I will stop there. If you look at the link there are so many verses related to the mind and thoughts.
 
God's Word is alive and I am constantly learning and growing.
I am so thankful for my Bible and all that God is showing me.
But more than that, I am thankful that He is alive and
desires a relationship with me. =)


No comments:

Post a Comment