No Place I'd rather be

No Place I'd rather be
Join me...

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Myrtle, Fir, Thorns and Briers Oh, My!

I was feeling down and overwhelmed by all that is on my plate today. Ok, everyday. Sometimes I just want to drop everything and simply walk with Jesus -  what is for dinner, when I will make it, not to mention lunch, cleaning a cluttered,messy home, school and trying to be a good mom to those sweet children whom the Lord has blessed us with and who often forget how good they have it. I feel like I am floundering and failing everywhere -even at being a good wife.

I felt nudged by God to read Isaiah 55 - I memorized it, but still enjoy reading it. It starts with, "Come everyone who thirsts..."

I so needed to read this! God knew and brought me to it. :)

But, I have been confused some about the last verse in Isaiah 55, verse 13. There had to be some symbolism in the trees. I kind of figured about the weeds and briers. I looked to find the answer a few times before. Today, I asked God for help and landed here in my search. I color coded the thorn/brier and the trees to make more sense for me.


Instead of the thorn - (Compare the notes at Isaiah 11:6-8; Isaiah 35:1-2; Isaiah 41:19; Isaiah 42:20). The word rendered 'thorn' (נעצוּץ na‛ătsûts) occurs only here and in Isaiah 7:19. It evidently means a thorn, hedge, or thorny-bush.

Shall come up the fir tree - (ברושׁ berôsh; see the notes at Isaiah 14:8; Isaiah 37:24; Isaiah 60:13; Zechariah 11:2). A change would be produced in the moral condition of man as great as if in the natural world the rough and useless thorn should be succeeded by the beautiful and useful cypress (compare Isaiah 60:13).  And instead of

and instead of the brier shall come up the- The brier is everywhere an emblem of desolation, and of an uncultivated country (see Isaiah 5:6; Isaiah 7:23-24).  The

myrtle-tree - (see the notes at Isaiah 41:19). The idea here is, that under the gospel the change would be as great in the moral world as if a field all overrun with briers should at once become thick set with myrtles. 

And it shall be to the Lord - The reference here is to all that had been said in the chapter. The gift of the Messiah; the universal offer of the gospel; the bestowing of pardon; the turning of the wicked unto God; and the great and salutary changes produced by the gospel, would all be a memorial of the benevolence and glory of Yahweh.

For a name - It should tend to diffuse his name; to spread abroad a knowledge of himself. 

An everlasting sign - On the meaning of the word rendered 'sign,' see the notes at Isaiah 7:14, Here it means that it would be an eternal memorial of the mercy and goodness of Yahweh.

That shall not be cut off - The gospel with its rich and varied blessings shall erect enduring monuments in the earth, to the praise and honor of God. It will be more enduring as a memorial of him than all altars and statues, and temples erected to celebrate and perpetuate idolatry; as wide-diffused as are his works of creation, and more fruitful of blessings than anything elsewhere conferred on man.


Don't cypress, like their feet (roots) wet and thrive in water? Not sure about the Myrtle Tree. It is not the myrtle that we see her in the USA.



I'll be like a tree, planted by the water...
"He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.”Jeremiah 17:8  (ESV)

A cypress is an evergreen (always green all year round). As I see it, no matter what comes my way, as long as I am rooted in God, soaking in the water of Life, and reaching towards the SON, I will be fine. I will continue to lift my limbs to glorify and praise God, as well as point others who look at my life to God. I know God will continue to pour Life into me through the Son. Which in turn will be producing Seed (the Word of God) that the WIND (Holy Spirit) will blow and hopefully (prayerfully) it will be accepted into fertile ground (those who need to hear it).

Hope that makes sense to you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment