No Place I'd rather be

No Place I'd rather be
Join me...

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Beware, Lest You Forget...

Today while reading Deuteronomy six I noticed several things. We are not only to teach God's word, but to teach it diligently and to beware lest we forget the Lord .

Below is a copy of parts that stuck out. I added bold, italics and parenthesis:
Now this is the commandment—the statutes and the rules—that the Lord your God commanded me to teach you, ..... (why?) that you may fear the Lord your God, you and your son and your son's son, by keeping all his statutes and his commandments... all the days of your life, ...

“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.....

12 take care lest you forget the Lord, who brought you out of .... slavery (to sin). 13 It is the Lord your God you shall fear. Him you shall serve and by his name you shall swear. 14 You shall not go after other gods, the gods of the peoples who are around you— 15 for the Lord your God in your midst is a jealous God—lest the anger of the Lord your God be kindled against you, and he destroy you from off the face of the earth.

20 “When your son asks you in time to come, ‘What is the meaning of the testimonies and the statutes and the rules that the Lord our God has commanded you?’

While rereading the first two verses, I was reminded of Matthew 28:20 and John 15:10.
  • In Mathew, Jesus just finished telling them to go and make disciples of all nations and baptizing them .... and "teaching them to observe all I have commanded you..." How will they know, unless we tell them?

  • In John, " If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love"

So, how do we teach them? Diligently. Not casually or in passing, if we look at the root word diligent it means: intensively, to pierce, figuratively; to prick, whet. 
  • First who is to do this?
  • Next, when are we  to do this?    Anytime - in the house, on our way somewhere, when we lie down, when we rise up.

~ We should talk about God as freely as the air we breathe. ~


We are told not to go after other gods - the gods of the people around you.
  • What is a gods? Is this scripture referring only to an idol?
  •  "gods" in this verse means 'Elohiym or Elohim is the Hebrew word for God the one mentioned in Genesis, our Creator God.
  • Anything we revere, have faith in, that takes the place of 'Elohiym or Elohim; whether it be a person, place, or thing; alive or dead; crafted and created by hands; anything can be made into a god or gods.
 I am reminded of Peter walking on water. He was fine as long as He looked to Christ. But as soon as he revered the storm, he started doubting, and he started sinking. When Christ helped him up He said that he had little faith (lacking confidence).


Verse twenty made me smile. Children are naturally curious, aren't they?! Especially if you can whet their appetite with stories or testimonies of God. He knows this as well and God wants us to share our faith with them. Tell them what God is showing you or sharing with you in your own Bible time. 

Lately, I've been reading a Psalm or two a day with my six year old son as we work in his journal together. He has seen places in my Bible that I've highlighted and wanted to highlight his Bible too. However, the things he wants to highlight sometimes puzzled me. So, I started sharing what I would highlight and why. When I pulled my colored pencils out Friday to work on a verse we had just read, he wanted to copy me in his Bible. It was sweet. As you can see, 14:1 was important to him too.  I think I will go back and highlight that as well. :)


I bought us matching Bibles. :)
 



More than anything, I want all of our children to love God and follow Him all of their days.
 
What steps are you taking to ensure that God remains the focus of your life during the good and bad times?

No comments:

Post a Comment